Sunday, November 28, 2010

DIY Butter!




I made my own butter tonight from cream and some creme fraiche. I guess there are more hard-core DIY versions than this but since I dont have my own cow (or could borrow one at short notice) I went to the supermarket instead.
It´s delicious with fresh baked bread...as well as with old bread :-)

I made my own butter from cream and some creme fraiche. I guess there are more hard-core DIY versions than this but since I dont have my own cow (or could borrow one) I went to the supermarket instead.
It´s delicious with fresh baked bread...
So here is how I did it: 

What you need:
  • 5dl cream 
  • 1dl creme fraiche
  • a big pinch of salt crystals
  • access to cold water
Tools & Time:
  • a hand mixer
  • around 30 minutes of your time

Start by mixing the cream with the creme fraiche in a bucket, mix this until the fat starts to separate from the water. This took me around 15 minutes. My hand mixer wasn't the best though, some sort of overheat protection kicked in and made it slower. 

Not good enough, keep on mixing!


That´s better...

Once when you see that there is pools of water with casein on the bottom you´re done so stop and pour out the water. 

Use something to press the butter around the bucket so you see more and more water/casein gets pressed out. Pour out the water and casein and fill it up with fresh cold water and hack the butter up in pieces in the water and then once again press it up against the sides. Do this at least two more times with fresh water to wash out the casein and water.





I know, it doesn't look that pleasant.

  
Press it up the side one last time and put in the salt.




Once the casein and water is gone, throw in a big pinch of salt crystals and mix it into the butter by hand and then pour out the last water if there is any left.






And then you're done, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment